Birmingham & Midland Canal Carrying Co

At one time the company also owned nine Birmingham Canal Navigations day boats that were used on that system mainly on constructional contracts. Five came from S.T. Brant Ltd (including one thought to be the former Anderton Company boat Ivy and another a former Shropshire Union flyboat) and four from Accles & Pollock of Oldbury.

The other boats came from a variety of sources but later most came from British Waterways – for instance Anson and Collingwood from the North Western Division and the motor Barrowand butty Puppis in March 1968 from the sale of the redundant boats moored on the Wendover Arm of the Grand Union Canal.

Famous Fleets feature article Issue 10 - Summer 2018 2012


NameFleet noJoined fleetRegistration numberRegistration dateBuilder/sourceNotes
Achilles6Birmingham 165415/07/1965
AlphonsBrentford 55109/11/1935
AngelCoventry 53828/01/1937
Anson (m)10Northwich 10717/02/1959Ex BWB, North Western Division
Argon2Brentford 55518/12/1935
Ash4Birmingham 165018/12/1965
Banstead (m)12Brentford 60509/12/1936
BarbaraBirmingham 165209/07/1965Renamed ex Argon
Barrow (m)Rickmansworth 8611/08/1936Ex Wendover Arm boat sale
Collingwood (m)5Northwich 10917/03/1959Ex BWB, North Western Division
Cypress8Birmingham 165315/07/1965
DodonaBrentford 57418/12/1935
Dolphin (m)Birmingham 146918/11/1949Ex BWB, North Western Division
Gertrude (m)9Runcorn 116910/01/1949Ex S. T. Brant Ltd (Merope)
HerefordBirmingham 127104/10/1912Ex Manchester Ship Canal Co
IlfordBirmingham 127204/10/1912Ex Manchester Ship Canal Co
JunoBrentford 53103/09/1935
Linda (m)1Birmingham 165109/07/1965Ex S. T. Brant Ltd (Victoria)
MeteorBrentford 52503/09/1935
Otter (m)11Birmingham 151727/03/1929
Pictor7Brentford 50724/07/1935
PuppisBirmingham 157520/09/1935Ex Wendover Arm boat sale
TowRickmansworth 22305/12/1961Ex BWB, South Eastern Division
Yeoford (m)3Birmingham 164909/07/1965

* The registration date shown relates to a previous owner. Only the first six of the operational boats were re-registered for the company in 1965 as the legal requirements for registration were discontinued shortly afterwards.